Saturday, August 16, 2008

What Did You Say?

Over the past 12 hours, Bubba has done some remarkable and exciting things. While they might not be exciting to everyone, we find them an amazing accomplishment that would have never taken place a few months ago.

I will start with yesterday on our dog walk (although as you can see from the picture, she rides with everyone else). Bubba noticed that a construction worker had spray painted on the sidewalk and grass. He said, "Oh no Mommy. That man painted grass. NO NO MAN!! NO PAINT GRASS!!" I was utterly stunned. Not only did Bubba notice that the grass was different from usual, he put the entire sequence of events together. We did not see the man paint the grass, but he saw the man walking with the can of paint. Two months ago, Bubba would not have even noticed the grass, period. The other fantastic thing was, you guessed it, he said a complete sentence!!

While this little phenomenon was enough of a pat on the back for everyone, it continued later that night. As Evander was reading Bubba and the Baby a book, Bubba began reciting the words before they could be read. Amazing! Now, I obviously know that he wasn't reading, but he had been paying attention all those times I read it before and was actually showing it now (not to mention he sat while several books were read).

Bubba and I awoke before the roosters and took Belle for her morning outing. As we were waiting for her to do her thing, I said, "I'm chilly!" and Bubba responded, "Mommy, need a coat?"

What did he say? Did he ask if I needed a coat? REALLY?? He went from not knowing what is hot and what is cold to knowing all of a sudden what chilly means and that I might need a coat!! I was floored and wanted to tell someone immediately, but at 5:40 am there is no one awake but myself, the dog, and my little Guatling prince.

It just goes to show that, with a little bad over the last few days, comes a lot of good. These might not be exciting to some, but they are miracles to me. God doesn't give me more than I can handle, but he sure does know how to make me squirm.

2 comments:

Kristin Barnett said...

I'm so happy to hear that you've seen some progress! Having an infant, I can definitely understand being extremely excited about what others would call "small" accomplishments. Good job, Bubba!!!

Anonymous said...

Great picture!
MJTRG