Tuesday, August 12, 2008

The Third Day is Always the Worst

When recovering from surgery, getting over strep throat, and post-baby delivery I frequently heard the saying, "The third day is always the worst". Well...through a variety of things with Bubba, I have decided this saying applies to all that he does, and he is yet to prove me wrong.
So, last night being the dreaded third day, I knew I would have a busy night. I also knew it would be bad when Evander and I were slipping into bed and he said "I have a good feeling about tonight". It was cursed for sure!! This, my friends, is an understatement.
Bubba awoke at 11:40 pm, walking as fast as his little bird legs could carry him. He stopped dead in his tracks when he encountered me and quickly pivoted to return to bed. I watched as he hastily climbed back into bed, but 5 seconds later he was out again. I decided that maybe I should sit with him until he falls asleep and see what happens.
Well...30 minutes later, I believe I was drowsier than he was, so I left, and he followed. I again threatened to close the door as I slipped him underneath his furry blanket. One would think that since he was afraid of the door being closed he would stay in bed. Oooohhhh nnnoooo! He didn't stay. At 1:00 am I made the decision to get my pillows and a blanket and camp in the hall. It would, afterall, cut down on my midnight rendezvous in the hall. I would be there already.
Bubba was not pleased with my new night-night location. He jumped back out of bed, sat in his floor, and stared me down for 30 minutes. He finally gave up and went to be at 1:30 am, but was back up and at um' at 2:00 am. I will give it to him...he is persistent!
He was up from 2:00 to 2:30 and again from 4:00-5:30 am, but he never left his room. I crawled to bed at 6:00 am, just as Evander was getting up for work. As soon as the shower went on, there was Bubba, at the door asking for milk.
I know some of you might say, why don't you just sleep with him or let him sleep in your room again, but you don't understand. He sleeps horribly. He grinds his teeth, thrashes around, sits up, moans, cries, kicks, etc in his sleep, making it impossible for anyone else to get any rest. I also don't want him to get comfortable with someone sleeping in his room. He needs to sleep alone and if it means that I sleep in the hall for a week, then so be it!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for doing all you do.
MJ