Sunday, August 10, 2008

GFCF

I will say that I am by no means a gluten-free, casein-free expert (we have only been on the diet for a month), but I will say that I believe in it with all of my heart. Since beginning the diet, I have had several people ask for more info, so I decided (while the kiddos are sleeping) I would share what little I do know here. Hopefully making it easier for me to direct others.
If your child is on the autism spectrum, read Jenny McCarthy's Book Louder Than Words. Before Bubba was diagnosed with PDD-NOS, I brushed this book aside, thinking she was a little bit of a kook, but (shortly after the diagnosis) a good friend encouraged me to read it, and I am so glad that I did. I couldn't read for continually thinking, "that sounds just like Bubba" or "that is exactly how I feel". With so many similarities, I began to give this mom some credibility, and I decided to start the diet and pursue so many other avenues. The book really encouraged me and gave me hope that I didn't have!
There is so much out there for GFCF; you just have to find it. Google is my best resource. GFCFdiet.com has lots of info on foods to avoid, as well as brands that are GFCF. Their shopping guide is also great to help you get started.
talkaboutcuringautismnow.com is another great source and gives an excellent 10 week guide to going GFCF (but we did it in a week).
GFCFmommy.blogspot.com is one of my favorite blogs. She has great recipes and ideas.
autismndi.com is fabulous too.

It is not an easy decision to make or a simple conversion for the family, but it is worth it. We decided to have our entire family go GFCF and we have seen amazing results from everyone. Three days after beginning the diet, Bubba began speaking in complete sentences, and 7 days later counting to 3 and singing. Now, he laughs at the funny parts of a movie, sits to watch a movie, asks questions, and notices things. The baby eats more of a variety of foods and seems to be speaking more (2-3 word phrases), as well. Evander (we will call my husband since he is now into boxing) has lost over 5 lbs and feels better overall, and I am definitely more relaxed and have more energy.
While this diet may not work for everyone, it worked for us. Good luck!

No comments: