Thursday, September 18, 2008

Feeding Assessment

Bubba's feeding assessment was today, so we hurriedly dropped Baby at Momma Bird's house (who I am forever in debt to) and were on our way. We walked into what has become the very familiar appearance of a therapy office waiting room. As we walked in the door, we were met by a variety of pre-printed signs covering the walls. These are the signs that immediately make you sit up a little straighter and wonder if you are following all of the directions. A green one said "No food or drink in the waiting room. Many of our patients have food allergies". So...I immediately tried to hide the sippy cup I was holding as I checked in at the front desk. We went through the same driver's license and insurance card dance before we were able to sit in the off-color 80's print chairs, being left to wait for an undetermined amount of time. Because of this my eyes were forced to gaze at a generic ocean mural which I was facing, probably painted by a not-so-professional artist. I began to wonder just how many ocean murals this person had painted because the color of the ocean was slightly off (more green than blue-green) and the "Nemo fish" (as Spencer called them) looked more like Goldfish with stripes. Just as I was beginning to wonder what job the father next to me could possibly hold, our names were called.
From going twice a week to a therapy center, Bubba navigated the maze of swings, mats, and balls like a pro, while I tripped and stumbled to the room we were to be assessed in. As I walked into the tiny airless room, my mind immediately flew to the many special ed meetings I sat in as a teacher. In these meetings, there were various teachers, therapists, a principal, and other professionals with one/two parents. I never understood why the parents look so nervous until today, as I entered a closet-like meeting area holding two nutritionists, an occupational therapist, a psychologist, and a speech-language pathologist... and a mom. I do not take my position lightly, but it was intimidating (and I'm not easily intimidated). I quickly began to wonder, "Do I really know ALL of his supplements and medications? When did he start the anti fungal? What does he not like to eat? Why are we even here?"
And it didn't get easier as they, one by one, bombarded me with questions. I began to doubt myself because I couldn't remember the name of one of his medications; I couldn't remember if it was peas or green beans he didn't like when he was a baby; I couldn't remember if he choked at 12 months because he had too much in his mouth or he didn't chew it up good enough. To make matters worse, my own son proved me wrong. Moments before he ate an entire can of mandarin oranges, a bowl of mixed vegetables, and a container of applesauce (all with his hands), I had said, "He will not eat anything green or anything mushy. He also will not eat anything with his hands because he hates for his hands to be dirty." At that I said, "Well...looks like we're done here. He's cured!"
After watching him eat, examining his mouth, and asking even more questions, they went to meet and decide what to do with our little Bubba. Slowly they came in one by one to tell me their recommendations, and they are as follows:
  • Speech therapy is recommended 1-2 times a week for 30-60 minute sessions (in addition to our current 30 min session) to focus on improving oral motor feeding skills and pacing skills (so he doesn't over stuff his mouth).

Evidently Bubba has decreased jaw and tongue strength. Every one's tongue moves as you chew to make sure the food is chewed and swallowed correctly, but Bubba's tongue doesn't move at all.

  • Occupational therapy is recommended 1-2 times a week to focus on sensory processing, core strength, postural skills and hand strength.
  • Gymnastics (he is already on the waiting list) is recommended to facilitate strength, endurance, and motor planning.
  • A physical therapy evaluation is recommended to establish a base line of skills and aide in strengthening.
  • Nutrition services recommends weight checks to monitor rate of weight gain and growth curve.

The nutritionist was happy to see the GFCF diet and to see that he had gained weight and was doing better.

So...we left mentally and physically exhausted by the 2 1/2 hour evaluation but happy that we have yet another road to travel to recovery.

No comments: