Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Baby's Big Day




Today began as any other, with Bubba scurrying through the house before 5 am and the Baby eating out of Evander's daily cup of yogurt. This day, however, is a special day. Baby went to school (mother's day out) today and will stay from 9-2.

Although it was dreary and wet, Bubba was in an unusually pleasant mood as the three of us drove to his little school. He did not fall asleep this morning, so we had a relatively quick drop off but were still running behind. The Baby and I raced to the car, dodging slimy weeds and cloudy sidewalk puddles (and the unsuspecting dad I almost tackled), hoping we could make it to her school in time. We, of course, were late!!

I wheeled into the parking lot, straddling the lovely yellow line, jumped out of the car, jerked up her school required basket and unbuckled the car seat belt like a pro. Before I knew it, the Baby and I were sprinting across the parking lot and through the glass doors. I, then, slowed the pace because I thought she might be a little anxious. We carefully placed her belongings down in the same neat row as her classmates and headed in the room. By this point, I was holding the baby as she exclaimed "OH, BABIES!!" (as she pointed to her peers)

Her teacher looked at me and said "Whenever you are ready, I will take her and you can go." That is when I realized I was holding onto her so tightly that she could barely move, much less get down and play. I quickly said "Oh, of course!" and handed her over as I gave a kiss and told her I loved her.

I was expecting a few tears and a little whining at least, but what did she give me? "Bye, bye Mommy," she said as I was escaping out the door. I was holding back tears as I jumped into my car, but she was fine. I think she will be ok!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How could she be any cuter? DJA