Friday, November 21, 2008

Those Children








Many times I have posted that I am "that parent". I am the parent who can't let go, the one who won't stop asking questions, and the one who cries when the children are left. I am the parent who teachers will talk about for years to come, not in a bad way, but in an overprotective-unable to cut the cord sort of way, and I am ok with that. What I realized today, however, is that I have "those children".
This morning, Evander and I went to see Bubba and Baby's holiday performance at school. Baby usually doesn't attend school on Fridays, but her teacher came to get her out of the car this morning and said, "I thought we should get her now so she will have time to calm down before we perform. Oh...would you mind possibly standing up on stage if we need you?" I should have known at that point what was in store, but I just agreed, and she took Baby, kicking and screaming, from the car. (She really loves school, but she doesn't like leaving me, which I must admit is kind of nice but I am starting to feel bad for her.) As Evander and I waited for the children to come out we discussed how we would handle the entrance.
"We have to keep our heads down," I explained. "If they see us, it is OVER!"
"I know," Evander said. "Oh here they come, and they look so cute."
"Don't look!" I insisted. "Hurry, look away! Don't make eye contact!"
At that moment, Baby rounded the corner and looked as if her world had fallen all around her. Her eyes were puffy, a fallen tear rested on her cheek, and dried snot shown on her long black sleeves. She wore a big orange pumpkin with a stem hat cocked to the side, careful not to mess up her bow. As her class mounted the stage, I heard "Stand up. Stand up, Baby!" She was refusing to stand, and she was refusing to participate. So...there she sat, a rotten pumpkin in a field of happy dancing faces. As they left the stage, we made contact and it was just like slow motion. I tried to look away but I saw it register in her face. Immediately she started her dramatic hyperventilating cry and the entire audience turned to see what had happened. They had found the rotten pumpkin's owners, and everyone began to laugh.
Baby sat with us as Bubba emerged from his classroom and headed for the stage. He was anxiously searching the crowd for a familiar face, and we were trying to get him to look our way. He was expecting us to be there, and I wanted to make sure he knew. Just then Baby screamed, "BUBBA! BUBBA'S IN THERE!! HEY BUBBA!" Eye contact confirmed! He did not sing or dance but he did stand with the rest of his classmates in front of a large crowd of strangers, which is major progress in my book. As they exited, he also found us and we were off to their rooms for breakfast.
I acknowledge that I am a little nutty about my kids at times, but that is just who I am. I want to make sure that they are well cared for, and nobody can do that like I can. I also acknowledge that I may have "those children". The children who cry through an entire performance, while all the other children are singing, or the child who refuses to sit down when everyone else is in circle time. I understand that they may prefer Evander and I over anyone else, and that is ok with me. They are good kids. They are loving and kind, and they take care of each other. I don't mind getting looks because my child is a little dramatic...it won't last forever. We should cherish our rotten pumpkin while we can.




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Fun story, great pictures. Good insight for all of us who can not be physically there with you all. The progress remains amazing!
MJTRG