Monday, November 3, 2008

New School

As a teacher, I never understood those mothers who lingered awkwardly outside the classroom door on the first day of school. They had tears in their eyes as they watched through the tiny window by the door and would wave occasionally. These moms were always found in the kindergarten pod, but a few could be found throughout the school. I always thought "Let 'em go" to myself as I walked past these sniffling mommies, but I realized today, as I pulled away from Bubba and Baby's preschool, I am one of those mothers.
Bubba and Baby began their new typical preschool today with much excitement and nervousness. Baby drug her new pink Princess backpack behind her to the car as she held tight to Lambie, while Bubba was collecting cars and his Lambie in a bag. We collected his backpack and groceries (because he cannot have the snacks they provide) and hurried out the door. When we arrived Bubba asked "Are you coming, Mommy?" I stopped and explained that I was dropping him and Baby off but would return after his nap and snack to pick him up.
Bubba put on his backpack, grabbed his Lambie and walked confidently into his new room without looking back. I was able to steal a quick kiss before he disappeared behind the door into the "orange room". Then it was Baby's turn. She had, of course, already found the library and was looking at a book in the 30 seconds she had been left alone. I scooped her up and walked to deliver her to her new room. Before I handed her off, I warned her teacher that she was a crier. With that, her teacher plucked her from my arms, and I vanished after a quick hug and kiss.
I barely made it to the car before my eyes filled with tears. I would not admit it, but I had been nervous since Sunday about their new school and now the day had arrived. I was worried that Bubba would eat something he should not or regress completely by the time I came to pick him up. I was afraid that Baby would not stop crying out for me and have to be picked up early. They were both fine, though. Bubba had two potty accidents, but I expected that. Otherwise he had a great day. Baby stopped crying before I even walked out the door and played her heart out. They both ate their lunch and took a nap.
I know that their new preschool will be so much better for them. They will make new friends and learn new skills. It will also be good for me. I will have time to myself to run errands and clean the house. I hate to see, though, what kindergarten will bring, not for Baby and Bubba, but for me. Leaving them is horrible. It is my problem, though, not theirs. I am kidding myself if I think I can go back to work!

No comments: