Thursday, December 4, 2008

Science Experiment


We got the diagnosis. We read the books. We began therapies. We searched out the best DAN! doctor. We started the diet. We forced the supplements down. Why? Why did we do this? Fifteen years from now, we want to be able to tell Bubba that we did everything we could to help him. We don't want to say, "I wish we tried those B12 shots." We had hope that he might speak more or say I love you. We had hope that he might pat his sister instead of punch her or laugh at something funny. We had hope that he would recover. We had hope. Now, 6 months later, we stand here with renewed hope.

I have posed the question before about Bubba's future, with the diet, supplements, and therapies. This time, I posed it to Evander. "What do you think would happen if we stopped ALL the supplements," I questioned. He immediately became defensive, "Why would we want to do that?" See, a few days before our big Colorado Thanksgiving trip, we had forgotten a dose of B12 and saw no change in Bubba. This got me really thinking...he is doing so well now. Has his body and mind caught up? Was it just a moment in time that his body required extra nourishment or does he need it to thrive? I would absolutely not take him off the diet, because we have seen too many adverse effects from non-GFCF food, but making him take all of these supplements (+15 a day) is becoming too much for him.

After MUCH discussion, we decided to try our own little science experiment. We took nothing but Seroquel (antipsychotic), Melatonin (for sleep, a must have), and Juice Plus gummies (a whole food supplement). We carefully watched him for any regression, change in behavior, or lack of speech. What did we see? Nothing! No change! He was his usual self, if not calmer. The doctor had said that the B12 and glutathione cream could make him hyper, but we saw not change in him when we began those supplements. Now that he is off of them, however, I see a big change.

It has been almost 2 weeks since we stopped all supplements, and he is doing really well. He is talking even more (Last night I had to ask him to be quiet. I hated to do it but we were in the ER with Baby because she drank 1/2 a bottle of cough medicine. That's another story). He is also being very sweet to Baby, which I love to see. Now, they are sharing and playing together very nicely. They seem more like brother and sister than they ever have. I hope this continues. I hope he doesn't need supplements anymore. I hope he can eventually have a regular diet. I hope he can join a mainstream kindergarten. I hope he fully recovers.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome news about Bubba.
Okay you know why I'm smiling about the cough medicine. Something like what goes around comes around. Too funny, just about the same age you were if I'm not mistaken. Can't wait to hear the whole story! DJA

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you might need to hide a key outside somewhere! The apple doesn't fall far from the tree!
We are so proud of all of you and the progress that has been made.
S&RR