Saturday, December 13, 2008

Anxiously Awaiting


Bubba making sure his stocking is just right.
Christmas has always been my favorite holiday, and I suppose it is because of my mother's love for Christmas. Each year our house would be decorated beyond belief with lights, trees (big and small), Santas (big and small), snowmen, garland, and candles. Our special stockings were always hung with care on the mantle to await Ho Ho's arrival. We would begin playing Christmas music just after Thanksgiving and carol singing filled our house. My mother would make cookies and candies with us (myself, my niece, and my nephew) and never minded that we licked our fingers before scooping the pecans out or took a little taste and then dipped it in chocolate. I learned to desire and appreciate the family and joy of the holiday more than the gifts I may receive.
So it is no wonder that I have carried on the traditions with my children. This is the first year that we will be staying in Texas for Christmas, and I couldn't be happier. I pulled out every decoration that I own. We had our house trimmed in lights and purchased a real tree. Bubba and Baby even have little trees in their rooms (both Wal-Mart musthaves before Thanksgiving). Bubba has a lovely purple tinsel tree decorated with CARS ornaments, while Baby has an elegant bright pink tree dawned with Princess ornaments. A silver snowman family is holding on to our stockings while trying not to get pushed from the mantle by the garland lurking behind them (or pulled off by the children in front). My precious moments snow village collection is carefully displayed atop the kitchen cabinets, totally out of reach of little fingers.
Baby kissing a sheep from the Nativity scene.
Both kids are so excited. They love looking at all the lights and enjoy the house being decorated. They also like decorating the tree undecorating and redecorating (a daily occurrence). I purchased GFCF gingerbread mix and non-rice krispies for Rice krispies treats. I even found a way to make my mom's famous bon-bon balls and still be GFCF.
We went to see HoHo but only Bubba would even approach. I was amazed at how nicely he sat NEXT to Santa (but would not let Santa touch him), but quickly found out the reason. As I motioned for him to get up he burst into tears. I was puzzled! Usually that happens BEFORE Santa, not after. "What's wrong?" He sobbed, "My tractor that scoops up cars..." Then it hit me, and I began to tear up. I felt horrible!
I have mentioned many times just how literal Bubba is but it always continues to hit me in the face over and over again. Since before Thanksgiving he has asked for only one thing, a tractor that scoops up cars (more specifically the Screaming Banshee tractor from the Cars movie, but that's not what he says). Evander and I have reassured him that, if he is a nice boy, Santa will bring him the "tractor that scoops up cars". Well...he took that for what it meant to him. He thought that if he was nice to Santa, he would give him his tractor. When that didn't happen, he was stunned! He thought he must have done something wrong. After calming him down, we tried to explain in different terms, Bubba terms, how the holiday would go down. Now he just asks about the tractor every day.
Christmas is special for many reasons to me. This year I will get to experience Christmas in my home through my children's eyes. I keep trying to imagine their excitement on Christmas morning and a smile comes to my face. I would like to carry on my mother's traditions (with her help) and maybe add a new one (going to Christmas Eve mass). I want to make this holiday as special for my children as it is for me.
Bubba's tree and Baby's tree

No comments: