Saturday, October 18, 2008

Yuck!

"Do I smell like poo? Smell my hands! Do they smell like poo?" In a typical house, the wife might say "What are you talking about?" or "Gross!!", but this is not a typical house. What did I do? I smelled his hands, confirmed the smell, and went to investigate.
Each night, before we go to bed, Evander and I make sure the doors are locked, refill milk cups, and close the blinds. Evander opens Bubba's door and goes in to check on Baby. He covers her up and takes her milk cup. (Don't worry. Yes...she does go to bed with a milk cup but she never drinks it. She just thinks she needs it in bed with her.) On this night (Thursday), however, when he was feeling his way around her pink cotton sheet and fuzzy mermaid blankie for her cup, he happened upon a foreign texture and immediately ran from the room. This is when he came to me and we both went back in. Just as I turned the corner I smelled all the evidence I needed.
I went out to prepare my work station. I set out wipes, a diaper, and balmex and went back for my project. Despite being covered in poo, she was sound asleep, so I carefully scooped her up and carried her to the couch. Trying desperately not to wake her, I delicately changed her diaper, as if I were handling an egg baby from home-ec class. She was back in bed in no time and back to sleep in an instant.
When I awoke the next morning, there was no need to wonder what kind of day I would be having. I knew one baby and possibly two would be sick, and we were going nowhere (except Bubba's parent-teacher conference). We spent the day in our jammies, watching Playhouse Disney, and eating crackers, bananas, and applesauce. Both kids were complaining of tummy aches, but Baby was still on the go. I knew Bubba must be feeling bad because he sat on the couch most of the day. Around two o'clock he began vomiting, which was a nice addition to the day.
In the end, Baby began to feel much better and was ready to go by dinner time. She changed her clothes (to a purple-silky Cinderella nightgown), played outside, and ate her noodles for dinner. Bubba, however, began to run a 103 fever, and his face started to swell, so he was off to the urgent care. He came home with an antibiotic, a middle ear infection, and a stomach virus.
Everyone is doing much better today, and there are no weird smells yet. Evander did wash his hands carefully and will now be a little more cautious when looking for that milk cup.

No comments: