Sunday, October 5, 2008

Regression

Since beginning our journey of recovery from ASD (autism spectrum disorder), I have found there to be two different forms of regression. My completely unscientific observations have discovered permanent regression and temporary regression. Permanent regression happens for numerous reasons and requires many interventions to try and recover what was lost. It may last months, years, or forever. Temporary regression happens suddenly but only lasts for a short period of time.
Permanent regression is a big fear of mine. Bubba has come so far with his speech and other skills that I would hate for it all to disappear. That is why I am seriously considering the flu shot and other vaccines that still lie in wait for Bubba. Our pediatrician suggested we call in October to schedule an appointment for the flu vaccine, and I plan to do that for Lilly. I am petrified, though, of the possibility that Bubba may not "recover" from the vaccine and even regress. My thought is I would rather deal with the flu for a few weeks than a loss of speech forever. I also have to schedule his 3-year-old well visit for January, and I know I have a tough road ahead because I think Bubba still has a few vaccines to receive (because he was behind since he had to have the "do-overs"). He is still small for his age (weight-wise), and he has a persistent cold. This could make him more susceptible to vaccine ingredients and put him at risk for permanent regression.
While this is floating around in my stressed-out mind, we have been dealing with temporary regression at home. Temporary regression has happened before and always will, I believe. It happens when my mother leaves (after visiting us) or when there is a major change in routine. It happened when we started the anti-fungal and now it is happening with the B12 injections. We began the injections on Monday and, within minutes, Bubba changed. He began screaming and whining. He stopped speaking and began to whine instead. He acted helpless and was very defiant. He had tantrums that required restraint and was extremely aggressive. This slowly wore off as time went by, until it was time for the next injection (every 3 days), and it happened again.
I contacted our DAN! doctor, who said this was normal and to try and stick it out if we could. Well...Evander were discussing it this morning and trying to decide how much more we could take. We had just about decided to stop when Bubba counted to 10. He has been counting to 3 for months, but he had never counted to 10. All alone and unassisted he did it again!!! We were SO excited, and I knew then that our minds were made up.
Temporary regression and permanent regression are both scary in their own right. The problem is that you never know if temporary regression will turn into permanent regression. This is a constant fear that I live with every day. The moment I see an "old behavior" I immediately tense up and think "Where did that come from? What happened? What triggered that? How do I get rid of it?" It is and will be a never-ending anxiety for Evander and I. Therefore, we will remain hyper vigilant and extremely observant and over concerned. Is it temporary or permanent?

No comments: