Saturday, September 11, 2010

Soccer Anyone?








"I wanna do soccer!" Baby exclaims. "I don't!" shouts Bubba.


"Why don't you wanna do soccer?" asks Baby.


"Cause I don't!" replies Bubba.


A few weeks ago, this conversation took place in our house and continued for some time. Baby posed in front of Bubba, hand on hip and head swaying back and forth, as she was trying to convince him that it would be fun. Her friend, Jewel, plays soccer, so she wanted to as well. Bubba, however, did not, which I could have guessed. The idea of having to participate in a team was more than he could handle. He wanted to take more swimming lessons. The result... both are taking swimming and playing soccer.


Today was their first soccer game of the season. How does my princess prepare? She started at 7:30 this morning demanding that I paint her fingernails and toenails after she had OBVIOUSLY been in my makeup. Next, she looked for the perfect pink shirt (because jerseys weren't in yet) and black shorts. Finally, she donned her shin guards, socks, and cleats. As she casually brushed her hair, like a woman you would find in the movies sitting at her vanity and stroking her long hair as she brushed, Baby said, "Ok...aaallll ready!" Great...only three hours till game time.


Where was Bubba? He was running around the house in undies and a t-shirt playing with trucks and cars. Not only did he have no concern about the upcoming game, I'm not sure he even realized there WAS a game. About five minutes before we had to leave, Bubba got dressed but didn't put on the cleats, shin guards, and socks...because he might get too hot.

I was so surprised at my sweet Baby. She normally despises dirt and detests being sweaty, but here she was excited about playing soccer. Then, the game began. My super enthusiastic soccer star turned into a whiny, over dramatic princess. She refused to go onto the field, and screamed when I told her she had to play. Evander (who is btw her soccer coach) and I begged and pleaded with her to play just for a few minutes. Some of the other girls began to drop out too. It was as if Baby had lead a soccer revolt. Of the eight players on the team, only four were playing.


Shortly after Evander tried to bribe her with a trip to Target she removed her cleats and got out her lunchable. There in the grass, next to the field, my three non-enthusiastic soccer players (and 1 fan) sat eating their lunch when one of them should have been playing. At one point, some of the four playing girls began to tire out, so we had to employ drastic measures. I picked up the shoeless, moody Baby and placed her just over the line onto the playing field so one of the other players could rest. A complete meltdown ensued.


Bubba's game was next. Since Baby wasn't playing and Evander was the coach, I took my three children and trekked across the park to Bubba's field. Bubba was the second person from his team to arrive, and he didn't look to excited. I was afraid that I would have to endure a second hour of a pouty preschooler, but I had no idea how to coax him onto the field. Bribing and time out don't work for Bubba. In fact nothing does. He is not affected or phased by anything, really, so I wasn't sure how this was going to play out because I also wasn't interested in dealing with a complete tantrum that only Bubba can throw. So...I waited.


To my surprise, Bubba ran onto the field. He ran onto the field and continued to run. It was like a swarm of bees, all running for that one tiny ball with no regard of teammates. The object...to kick the ball. Whoever got in the way of that was going down. He actually did very well (as long as you said "Bubba go that way!"). I will say he needs to learn that you stop running and kicking with a blow of the whistle, but I was very proud of him. I believe I was more proud that he was out there, on the soccer field, with other boys his age and he was doing something that other boys do. No one out there had any idea what he has been through.


All in all I am very proud of all three of my children. Peach endured the heat and multiple soccer games, as well as a birthday party before hand. Baby sat with her team and has promised to participate next time. Bubba said as he came off the field, "Well... I did my best!" Did you hear my heart melting? We will see what next weekend brings.

No comments: