Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Round Two

Baby was released from the hospital yesterday with host of medications and supplies (diagnosed with RSV, bronchiolitis, and pneumonia). We have breathing treatments every 4 hours (day and night), chest pt (basically I beat on her chest and back), steroids, and antibiotics. She is doing better, but she is still having a really hard time breathing. I wish I had stolen the oxygen monitor from the hospital, so I would know how she is every second of the day.
When I picked Bubba up from school yesterday (yes...hours after Baby was discharged), though, he was running a fever of 102.4, coughing his head off, and complaining of a headache. I went home, kissed Evander goodbye (because he is traveling this week, of course), picked up Baby, and headed for the pediatrician's office.
I am not going to lie... I cried all the way to the pediatrician's office. The thought of having two terribly sick children was more than I could handle at the moment. Baby and I had been at the hospital for 48 consecutive hours, and I had gotten NO sleep. I was so afraid that her oxygen was going to dip (even though she was getting oxygen) that I couldn't sleep. I kept my eyes glued to the monitor.
My suspicions were confirmed. The pediatrician said that Bubba has an ear infection (what's new) and RSV. I said several curse words, then apologized for my inappropriate comments. The doctor then went on to say that Bubba is evidently immune to antibiotics, because he was taking antibiotics for a previous infection when this occurred. Because of this, an injection was required and a mandatory 20 minute wait would follow (to make sure he had no allergic reaction). He freaked out about the shot, but then went about his business.
Twenty minutes later, the pediatrician and nurse came in the find Baby and I lying across the exam table, nearly asleep, and Bubba licking the mirror. Welcome to my house! We were good to go. So...now I have two children on breathing treatments every four hours, steroids, and antibiotics. FYI... potent steroids and toddlers do not mix well!!

No comments: