Friday, March 6, 2009

Never a dull moment


Thursday started with a bang. Baby was up wandering around most of the night, unable to sleep because of difficulty breathing and fever. Then I had a horrible dream that my children were kidnapped by my mother's daughter while at gymnastics, and I couldn't go back to sleep. Just as I started to dose off, Bubba barged in the room. I'm not exactly sure of the time, but I think it was around 5:00 am. I decided to give up on sleeping and hop in the shower.

Now, my family will tell you that I have never been a fan of showering. That might sound disgusting, but it's true. Before Bubba, I always took a shower every other day. Every day is just absurd and a waste of time! Now that Bubba is here, though, I cannot shower if another adult is not in the house. The reason for this is because he may hurt himself, Baby, or the dogs. He may also wander outside alone (it has happened before). He just cannot be trusted, so I always shower when Evander is home. Thursday, however, was a different story.

Since Evander hadn't been home since Monday, I hadn't showered since Monday afternoon (after getting home from the hospital, where I also hadn't showered. I have a thing about public, or in this case semi-public, restrooms, but that is another post). I decided I had to do it. After all, what could happen? Bubba was watching TV, and Baby was still sleeping. I wedged a chair under the back door and made sure the "extra-high" locks were secure before committing to my shower. I turned the water on and peeked in on him. Nothing. I got my clothes and towel out and peeked in on him. Nothing. I started to step into the shower, but I peeked in on him. Nothing.

Just as I was stepping out of the shower (5 minutes later), I heard a lot of commotion and noticed that the bedroom light was on (and I hadn't turned it on). I burst through the bathroom doors to find that Bubba had moved the nightstand from beside the bed and pushed it up against the dresser. He was standing on top of the nightstand, holding fist fulls of jewelry. Baby was beneath him covered in necklaces, bracelets, and attempting to change her earrings. Bubba was wearing Evander's college ring and my pearls.

After cleaning up and removing the bling, Bubba was headed to school and Baby was headed for a chest x-ray. Bubba arrived at school fashionably late, as usual, and we were off. When we saw the pediatrician, she finally had good news for us. Baby's lungs are clearing, and we can begin to ease off the breathing treatments. She wants us to continue the antibiotics and breathing treatments for a month. She also wants us to pull Baby and Bubba out of preschool. The doctor explained that Baby's immune system has been compromised and, until she is fully well, she will continue to "catch" everything around her. So...after much discussion, Evander and I have decided to do the following:


  • Reschedule Baby's b'day party for March 28

  • Reschedule Bubba's surgery for March 30

  • Immediately withdraw Bubba and Baby from preschool

  • Keep Bubba in PPCD and begin 5 days a week in the fall

  • Enroll Baby in mother's day out (where she went before) 2 days a week for the fall

  • Withdraw my application to return to teaching in the fall

Depending on how Baby does over the next few months, she may have to see an immunologist, but we will wait and see. Thanks to everyone for their prayers and well wishes! We hope she continues to do well.

No comments: