Monday, February 2, 2009

PANDAS


When you read the word PANDAS, what comes to mind? If I had a guess I would say that you think of a giant black and white bear with big black eyes, hanging out in China, and eating bamboo. That is the image I assume most people would conjure. What do I think of when I hear the word PANDAS? Pediatric Autoimmune Neuropsychiatric Disorder Associated with Streptococcus... a condition found in children who have contracted strep throat (or similar illnesses) or some children on the autism spectrum who have encountered children with strep throat.

Evander and I had never heard of PANDAS before visiting The Thoughtful House. So...when the doctor made a joke about his panda photo on the wall, we were clueless. Then he began to ask questions and explain. Do either one of you contract strep throat often? (Yes...I get it exactly twice a year, every single year) Have you been tested as a strep carrier? (No) Have you noticed when you begin feeling symptoms of strep Bubba's behavior changes? (No, but I would never put the two together) PANDAS means that when the body is fighting off a strep infection something goes terribly wrong, gets confused, and begins attacking parts of the brain as well. It is essentially an autoimmune attack on one's own brain. PANDAS can cause neurotypical children to exhibit signs of ADHD and/or autism when they contract strep throat, and it can cause children on the autism spectrum to temporarily regress. These children exhibit tics, hyperactivity, OCD, etc. It is rare, but always on my mind.

All day Friday, Bubba wasn't saying much or interacting with anyone. I blew it off because we were in the car all day. Friday night, when we arrived in Clanton, Baby was running a fever of 102.2. I gave her some Motrin and put her to bed, hoping she would be better in the morning. Saturday morning Baby awoke with a fever of 100.5 (much better and probably just a cold) and seemed to be playing well. Bubba, on the other hand, was a terror. He wasn't satisfied with anything. There was no toy, no juice, and no snack good enough for him. He was clingy, defiant, aggressive, and doing this weird new thing with his hands. I, again, assumed it was because we had been in the car for 12 hours the day before and he awoke in a new place. May Bee came over to watch them, so I could go to the hospital, and I warned her of Bubba's horrific mood and Baby's subtle fever.

Sunday went on much the same way until Baby awoke from her nap. She stumbled into the den, a sweaty mess, and began crying for me to hold her. When I picked her up, I immediately felt the fire radiating from her skin. I took her temp and found it was over 102. At that same moment, Bubba began screaming, and it hit me. I turned to my momma and said, "We need to get her to a doctor. She has strep." "You think?" my mom said. "Yes!" After 30 minutes of myself, my mother, and Evander (via computer at our house in Texas) searching for an after hours physician in Alabama, we finally found one in Hoover (an hour away).

We waited in the waiting room of the urgent care office for over two hours. During this time, Bubba was repeatedly jumping off the chairs and couches, moving furniture around, and running back and forth to the restroom. He was extremely hyper. Finally we were called back. I thought the nurse would never finish asking questions and checking vital signs before the doctor came in. Then he appeared. The doctor looked her over and lastly, looking in her mouth. "Tonsillitis" he proclaimed. "What about strep?" I said. "Oh, children under 2 typically don't get strep. It's very rare," he rattled. "She has had it before and I am worried she has it again." "Well, we will test her but I just don't think that is the case" he replied.

Ten minutes later, we exited the urgent care with a positive strep test, a prescription for an antibiotic, and a stunned physician. It took me almost three days to put all the signs together, but I did. I hate that strep affects Bubba in this way, but I am also glad that it does. He was my warning sign. He helped me to know that it was time to get her to a doctor. So, maybe now, when you see the word PANDAS, you will think of something other than a cuddly, fat, black and white bear.

No comments: