Wednesday, August 14, 2013

To retain or not to retain

*Apologies for not posting in over a month.  We have been super busy around here!

Dictionary.com states the definition of retain is to hold in place or position, but I had to search for that one.  The other definitions I found used the example of holding a prisoner in custody... which made me cringe.  Then there are the countless articles on the devastating results of retention, essentially insinuating that a child who is retained will actually become a menace to society and, in fact, the prisoner from the other definitions.  Why the search for this word and this topic?
Evander and I had a large decision weighing on our hearts and minds about our oldest.  About mid-year through first grade, we noticed that he wasn't progressing.  After attempting various strategies and plans, I met with the teacher to ask about retention.  Being the teacher she is, I got the typical teacher answer (which I myself have given).  That answer holds statistics of drop outs, bullying, and the final zinger "How do you know that things will change if he repeats the same grade?"
After praying and pondering that question with my teacher hat on, and then my parent hat on, I was stuck.  I was stuck until I began to listen to Bubba as the start of school was looming over his head.  I overheard comments like:
"I'm nervous."
"I wish I could stay in first grade."
"I'm scared I'm not going to do good in second grade."
"I'm very worried I won't make good grades."
The remarks went on and no amount of reassurance from me or dad changed his feelings.  That is when Evander and I revisited the topic, and here is our conclusion.
Do we know that things will change?  Absolutely not.  Do we know that he will gain all of the knowledge he needs for 2nd grade the second time around?  Absolutely not.  Do we know our child better than a teacher?  You better freaking believe it!!! 
With that in mind, we will be retaining Bubba this year.  He is struggling, and he even recognizes it.  We also recognize that this is our once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, and we want to take it.  I don't want to see him fail second grade and then be forced to repeat when all his classmates are aware of grades and what "failing" actually means.  He is also better socially with younger children. 
We told Bubba last night that he would be staying in first grade and he was elated!  He could not have been happier to hear he was staying, and his attitude toward school has immediately changed.  He is now wondering who his classmates will be and if he will get to see Baby at recess.  His reaction further solidified our decision.
Parents know their children better than anyone else on this Earth, and don't second guess that.  Go with your gut and do what you feel is best for your child. 

No comments: